Welcome to the Rangitoto Island Historic Conservation Trust Guestbook.
The youngest of the islands in the Hauraki Gulf, Rangitoto emerged from the sea around 700 years ago in a series of volcanic explosions. Rising to a height of 260 metres the circular island presents the same uniform appearance and is visible from most parts of the mainland. Rangitoto's name has been translated to mean the day the blood of Tamatekapua was shed, relating to a major Maori battle at Islington Bay about 1350. Rangitoto is an icon of Auckland city.
Situated about 8 km northeast of Auckland and connected to Motutapu Island by a causeway, Rangitoto is a large island of 2311 hectares with a wonderful volcanic landscape that supports over 200 species of moss, plants and trees including the largest Pohutukawa forest in the world. It was purchased by the Crown in 1854, set aside as a recreation reserve in 1890 and for over 30 years the island's volcanic scoria was quarried and shipped to Auckland. Between 1925 and 1936 prison labour built roads on the island and a track to the summit.
There are some 10 or so short and long walks around the island and from the summit there are magnificent views of the Hauraki Gulf, the Waitemata Harbour and Auckland city.
The bach communities on Rangitoto Island were built in the 1920's and 30's and consist of private holiday dwellings and boatsheds as well as communal facilities such as paths, swimming pool, community hall and tennis courts. Built by families, using the scarce resources of the Depression era, the buildings demonstrate the 'kiwi' do-it-yourself, jack-of-all-trades attitudes of the times.
As a result of a prohibition order on further buildings in 1937, the remnants of the communities reflect this specific time in Auckland's development and as a result they are part of local history involving typical New Zealanders in a unique environment.
Because other bach communities, which were prevalent throughout the country, have virtually disappeared, the Rangitoto bach settlements are irreplaceable artefacts of New Zealand's architectural, and social history and therefore are important beyond their locality.
Bach 38 Museum at Rangitoto Wharf will be open by appointment firstname.lastname@example.org
Opening times are from the first Fullers ferry of the day to the last ferry of the day.
Open other days by appointment - email@example.com
New content added to the education pages here>>
Photos of the Scout Camps in the 1930s, 1948 and 1951 here>>
Photos of the wrecks here>>
The latest newsletter is available here>>
Gareth Cooke Photos
Gareth has taken a series of photos of the Rangitoto Baches and wrecks view his online gallery here>>
From the TVNZ Archives
Photos of Rangitoto Island submitted by the public on Flickr are here>>
Rangitoto Island Biosecurity Standards. Find out what you need to know here>>
The Environmental Care Code and Water Care Code can be found here>>
New photos have been added to the galleries here>>
The Rangitoto Island Historic Conservation Trust is Charities Commission registered - our number is CC28141 - so all donations over $5 are tax deductible. View certificate here>>
More information on societies and trusts here>>
Major financial sponsor
AMP Financial Services Limited
for Rangitoto today
Check out what the weather is doing over the Auckland area.
Check out the high and low tide
for Auckland area
Maori name: Rangitoto, derived from the phrase 'Te Rangi i totongia a Tamatekapua - the day the blood of Tamatekapua was shed'.
Location: Auckland City, map reference NZMS 260: R11/762888
Height: 260 m
Age: Formed about 600 years ago
(ca 1400 AD)
Volume lava: about 2,300 million cubic metres (equivalent to 468,000 Olympic sized swimming pools)
Volume tuff/ash/pyroclastics: about 19 million cubic metres (equivalent to 3,800 Olympic sized swimming pools)